[lbo-talk] more on why movies suck

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 20 00:03:03 PST 2009

It would have been much better without the goddamn hobbits. Do you realize that they have to be rescued something like four times before they even leave the goddamn Shire? If I were Aragorn I would have given them the pointy end of my sword toute de suite out of sheer frustration. I hate those furry-toed little bastards.

The National Lampoon Bored of the Rings parody was awesome.

----- Original Message ---- From: Gar Lipow <the.typo.boy at gmail.com>  I know that LOTR is widely hated among serious leftist, being dismissed as something for reactionaries and hippie types.  But I always found it one of those reactionary things that is still worth reading and enjoying.  Tolkien was no Pound, but to me his prose sang. Also, I love the world building; it rings true somehow. Often friends who can get past the pastoral longing are driven away from LOTR by the endless travel description.,But, to me, the glimpses of a Middle Earth that Tolkien more than half believed existed more or less as described is one of the great pleasure of LOTR. Bottom line: I don't think either the book or the filmed LOTR were crap. Of course, your goat may vary. ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk