[lbo-talk] The Necrosocial

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Fri Nov 20 03:37:02 PST 2009

In college I wrote exactly this sort of essay (w/fewer 50-cent words). Now I (and many others, no doubt) marvel, not without some envy, at the good fortune of those who can attend Berkeley and the foolishness and political lunacy of these critiques.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:47 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] The Necrosocial

On Nov 19, 2009, at 11:34 AM, Eric Beck wrote:

> The university steals and homogenizes our time yes, our bank
accounts
> also, but it also steals and homogenizes meaning. As much as
capital
> is invested in building a killing apparatus abroad, an incarceration
> apparatus in California, it is equally invested here in an apparatus
> for managing social death.

Oh please. Universities compared to what? Auto plants? McDonald's? The

right hates universities because they provide some degree of freedom of thought and a certain hospitality towards renegades. Yeah, I know how awful they can be sometimes. But still a lot of good comes out of

them. This sort of rhetoric is just overheated and self-indulgent whining.