[lbo-talk] The Neoliberalization Of Higher Education: What’s Race Got To Do With It?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 04:30:05 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Alan Rudy <alan.rudy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:57 AM, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> That progressive change is being thwarted by some kind of external
>> malevolent force (the elusive and all-powerful The Man) is kind of a dogma.
>>

> Would you be happier with Domhoff's neo-Weberian interlocking networks of
> cultural, economic and political elites melded with Lukes' three dimensions
> of power seen through social psychoanalytic takes on socialization,
> internalization and self-surveillance? The Man, while admittedly populist
> and non-specific is shorthand... for most folks here my assumption is that
> shorthand is shorthand, not an indication of their being a dogmatic
> simpleton.

BTW: The Domhoff, Lukes, Foucault thing above isn't even my position - though its taught me some stuff - but my students grok it in ways they refuse/resist when its presented in more Marxist terms...

-- ********************************************************* Alan P. Rudy Dept. Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work Central Michigan University 124 Anspach Hall Mt Pleasant, MI 48858 517-881-6319