[lbo-talk] The Neoliberalization Of Higher Educa tion: Whats Race Got To Do With It?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Nov 20 04:39:36 PST 2009

At 11:10 AM 11/19/2009, Doug Henwood wrote:

>On Nov 19, 2009, at 10:51 AM, Eric Beck wrote:
>
>>The Neoliberalization Of Higher Education: What's Race Got To Do
>>With It?
>
>Well I don't know. What does it have to do with it?

The author is engaging in a critique of identity politics, to wit:

" For decades the UC administration has attempted to isolate the most "diverse" constituency on campus: the service workers. As some of the most courageous and outspoken critics of current university policies, these workers have the most to lose and continue to demonstrate the astonishing power of collective action.

Routinely used as exhibits of victimization and vulnerability, students of color are often viewed as passive and frightened objects rather than radical political subjects who have a crucial role to play in transforming a broken institution.

Shared culture is no guarantee of political solidarity. And so we stand together with all those who are working to build a democratic mass movement powerful enough to challenge the twisted logic of privatization which makes structural racism routine. Neither students nor workers can accomplish this task alone. Current UC leaders are counting on the fact that we remain isolated from each other. "