[lbo-talk] The Neoliberalization Of Higher Educa tion: Whats Race Got To Do With It?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Nov 20 20:43:01 PST 2009

At 11:10 AM 11/19/2009, Doug Henwood wrote:
> This piece asserts, but doesn't even try to prove, that
>race is a driving factor in this approach.

I don't see where the assertion is. I've read it a couple of times. I don't see the author(s) making this claim.

STructural racism is not about intention. Analyses of structural racism are not about intention. When someone invokes the phrase, 'structural racism' (or any sort of structural oppression), they are not discussing the personal intentions of individuals sitting around in board rooms.

>What political
>purpose is served by foregrounding the racial angle? Why not pitch it
>in some more universal way that might win broader support?

I think you missed that fact that this is a student from one of the following groups speaking to students from the following groups:

"For children of immigrant parents, for immigrants themselves, for the first to attend college in their families regardless of their ethnicity, skyrocketing fees and cuts occur at a time when **WE** can least afford it."

She sees herself as part of the **WE**. She's not speaking as a white person or well-off student asking other white and/or well off students to care about the issue.

She sees all these folks as being impacted, and she's foregrounding it probably because she/they find it an issue that is close to their, uh, identity and day-to-day concerns.

shag