[lbo-talk] The Neoliberalization Of Higher Education: What’s Race Got To Do With It?

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 06:34:17 PST 2009

Yeah, the Wallace campaign is the real counterfactual here. Even with the disaster that was the Democratic Party in 1968, Nixon barely edged Humphrey in popular vote. Nixon was trying to lure Wallace voters into his camp, and the states that went for Wallace in 1968 overlap pretty significantly with those that went for Goldwater in 1964, so I think there's a strong case to be made that LBJ was right when he predicted that by signing the Civil Rights Bill he was turning the south over to the GOP for decades. So, add together the Nixon and Wallace votes and in 1968 you already get nearly 60% of the electorate lining up for reaction. Maybe the most hopeful reading of 2008 is that it represents a reduction of the GOP to the know-nothing party, a party that, pace Wojtek, is now a minority of the electorate. The price for the marginalization of the know-nothings is an imperial Democratic party entirely at the bidding of the more rational capitalists. The left, as far as I can tell, has no capacity to organize anything now. It waits for a savior, thinking it found him in BHO. In the long run, we have to think about rebuilding the capacity for some kind of self-organization in the context of declining US hegemony, caused by an economic recovery program that will probably consign us to a(nother) lost decade similar to Japan in the 1990s. That is bound to create conflicts of interest among capitalists, and we have to find a way to organize in a way that deepens those conflicts.