[lbo-talk] more on why movies suck

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 20 10:31:22 PST 2009

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> At 08:44 PM 11/19/2009, Joanna wrote:
> [clip]
>> >I know that Citizen Kane gets the nod for the great American art
> >film, but I can't believe that this film, which I only once managed
> >to get through without falling asleep, is it.
>
> Welles's best movie was Chimes at Midnight I think, one that hardly
> gets shown.

This thread is beginning to remind me of what happens on the Milton-L list whenever someone introduces questions of "treatness" "the greatest" etc. The thread ecomes nonsensnical. One cannot baseanykind of useful discussion if the aim of it is to identify "the gretest American film" or similar questions. It was silly to begin with to wonder whether any American was the equivalent of Eisensein or De Sica. Which French poet was the equualent of Wordsworth? Which Norwegian vegetable was the equivalent of Del MOnte Blue Lake Oregon beans? These comparisons dropping out of Heaven clutter thinking.

I suspect Eisenstein would never have been Eisenstein if it wer not for Griffiths.

Carrol