[lbo-talk] more on why movies suck

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 20 09:06:47 PST 2009

At 08:44 PM 11/19/2009, Joanna wrote:

>Well, of course, it's not just the Russians and the German, although
>in the twenties and thirties, it kind of was.

Don't forget John Ford. And there's always been a lot of fluidity. Hitchcock made his first movies in Germany. Move up a few years and you have Weimar theater trained Douglas Sirk making Hollywood melodramas that Fassbinder loved and one of which he remade, as did Todd Haynes (Sirk's All That Heaven Allows was Fassbinder's Ali Fear Eats the Soul and Haynes's Far From Heaven.) And then there's Austrian Billy Wilder writing some of the best American patter you ever heard.

>I know that Citizen Kane gets the nod for the great American art
>film, but I can't believe that this film, which I only once managed
>to get through without falling asleep, is it.

Welles's best movie was Chimes at Midnight I think, one that hardly gets shown.