[lbo-talk] the fantasy of being outside ideology

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 21 19:51:04 PST 2009

You know, people don't actually worry about whether "Socrates" and "Socrates standing" are different things in their ordinary speech.

I'm also wondering if "dumbocrat" counts as one of those logos-destoying insults.

----- Original Message ---- From: Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com> \>>
>> Like all personal insults, whether or not ending in "ist," it would
>> totally subvert the logos of the discussion underway.  Otherwise it
>> would be welcome as one's opponent's humiliating admission of defeat
>> in argument.
>
> Note: In the context of the whole quotation from Angela, it makes a
> difference that the hypothetical "insult" was NOT "You are a racist" but
> "You are BEING a racist."...

Since "being" and "are" are both forms of the verb "to be," "being" in "are  being" is merely an intensifier, emphasizing the insult that you are *now* a racist.  If one meant "arguing like" or "making a racist argument" one would say so.