[lbo-talk] climate change

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 22 02:36:28 PST 2009

James, I double-dog dare you to critique the actual science of climate change, rather then quoting some guy's emails. This is, I repeat, a double-dog dare. You of course have studied climatology extensively, and therefore are equipped to talk about it competently, just as your deep knowledge of the history of philosophy allows you to talk about Derrida and Heidegger* and make insightful comments on Sextus Empiricus. Remember, we are not members of a Trot cult, and so your standard tactics of character assassination and guilt-by-extremely-vague-association will not work on us. You have to discuss the actual subject. Like, if you want to talk about "the they," you have to know what role it plays in Heidegger's ontology, how he derives it, and so forth. If you want to talk about climate change, you have to know something about how climate works. "If climate change is real, that means people have to limit their consumption, and I think that would be bad,

therefore climate change isn't real" is not a substitute.