[lbo-talk] The Necrosocial

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 22 12:30:13 PST 2009

In trying to get a grip on the social dynamics of a given society at a given time, in the first instanc it is 'objective' place in a set of social relations that counts, not consciousness -- for there never has been any clear one-to-one relationshp between class and consciiousness. Hence my argument over the years that the u.ss. working class constitutes over 85% of the population. I think Doug is correct on that. But when we start analyzing consciusness, either at the present or (what seems more important to me) in a hypothetical future, then we do have to have something more flexible than 'mere' class. But, again, I'm not sure that it's worthwhile trying to show actual entrepreneural conditions of life. For one thing, historically there has been a lot of accunts which characterize "false consciusnes" as petty-bourgeois consciusness, and that, however we want to label it, is (I think) the focus of this exchange.

As I understand it, the basis of p-b (or petty producer as I prefer to call it in English) consciousness is the expectationof such a producer when he/she brings their product to market that Say's law should apply, and if it fails to apply,if there is no buyer (at a "just price," for their product, then someone somewhere is responsible: i.e.a strong element in the aroused p-b consciusness is a kind of conspiricism (usually direced against bankers), and then the demand/trust is in a _government_ to do something about it, to catch those criminals (or criminal jewish bankers) and put things to rights.

So that is the object of our search, is it not, to find those elements in the material condition of large sectors of American Workers that makes them 'feel' like the classical p-b? But I don't think it helps to label them p-b in material fact.

Carrol