[lbo-talk] The Necrosocial

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 17:07:35 PST 2009

I agree with this, and I've been a little surprised to find myself advancing some arguments on this thread that I'm not entirely convinced of. For starters, I think consciousness and ideology are terrible terms, largely because historically they've been used for so much bad politics. But I think they might be useful if they are used not as things in themselves -- as obfuscations that must be overcome or states that must be reached -- but as measures of the gap between the "subjective" and "objective." It might worthwhile to think of consciousness if the term is taken expansively, but false consciousness always means bridging that gap, and the whole revolutionary/messianic machine needed to carry it out.