[lbo-talk] The Necrosocial

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Mon Nov 23 12:42:05 PST 2009

When I die, let me be in massive debt -- to the rich. After making sure my assets are securely distributed to my heirs.

The debt is the price of a ticket, not always honored, into the upper-middle class. Nobody forces you to go that way. If you do, as I said I think your obligation is to make the most of it, not bloviate about the future depredations of your classmates. Be a good example, that would have more impact than issuing a pretentious tract.

That it could only be sophomoric is well-taken, though others here seem to disagree and think it is bitchin' radical. "The Reproduction of Capital." Sweet.

My first bust was a sit-in (trespassing) to demand free food for the workers in our cafeteria. Ye Olde Worker Student Alliance. That had more impact than my literary primal screams, though obviously not much impact. We also took pains to get students off the campus, organizing with others, rather than stay in the fishbowl. Of course it didn't amount to anything. If I was on campus I'd be doing the sweatshops and living wage stuff, aside from trying to make the most of the courses available.

I've said I support the protests, in general. The question of whose ox is gored by a tuition increase is a little complicated. The enrollment of an elite public institution includes students from very well-off families. Subsidies to them are financed by regressive state taxes paid by many whose children will never see those campuses, except as custodians and food service workers. Obviously full-cost tuition would block many students from an education. And progressive, ample state taxation is not in the cards, especially during or soon after this recession. It's tough. By all means, let's talk about the reproduction of capital, or my itchin' balls.