[lbo-talk] The Necrosocial

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 23 13:10:27 PST 2009

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> Carrol brought up the Paris Commune. Rimbaud was a participant and
> wrote something non-sophomoric about it when he was 17, so it's not a given.

This leaflet wasn't writing _about_ a past event. It is PART of an ongoing event. What kind of leaflets were passed around in Paris in the days before the uprising?

I'm not sure what "sophomoric" means in this context.

Like almost all of the 10s of thousands of left initiative in the last two centuries, this initiative may well abort. Some one cries, Shut her down. He is more apt to get fired than he is to inspire a wildcat. But that it is the history of the left. If leftists ddin't kdeep raising that or equivalent calls, they would never find out when one might have succeeded.

The Hugarian uprising of 1919 is sometimes cited as a classical case of ultra-leftism. But in the context, when there were still (reasonable) hopes of a general European uprising, it would have been criminal not to try. These students apparentlyh see the possibility of a student movement emerging. They have responded to this possibility. And a bunch of old fogies on lbo-talk are grouching about it.

Carrol