[lbo-talk] The Necrosocial

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Nov 23 15:59:40 PST 2009

At 03:57 PM 11/23/2009, Carrol Cox wrote:

>Joanna wrote:
> >
> > > This was not addressed to factory workers; it was addressed to other
> > university students, who are intimately acquainted with the promise and
> > quicksand of privilege.
>
>Yes. Joanna has nailed it down.

because she's a technical writer and intimately familiar with writing for particular audiences and skilled at knowing how to change her approach depending on that audience and her goals. her writing goals (and here I'm assuming) also have to get people to do something most of the time -- or help them do something.

Consequently, she approaches the text asking, "who is the audience?"

>Dennis C wanted to know my reasons for saying no one on this list was in
>a position to judge the text.

we are in a position to judge it if you do so as Joanna did. Which is what you're actually saying in more detail below. It's not that no one can judge it, it's that it should be judged appropriately. It's perfectly possible to still end up having criticisms, but in this case Max's criticism is based on a misreading of the text to begin with, since the author isn't running around assuming that the university is irredeemable.

shag