[lbo-talk] Poll: Majority Of Republicans Think Obama Didn't

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 24 07:17:00 PST 2009

Bertell Ollman gave a very interesting paper at Amherst on the importance of the Flag to American nationalism. (He mentioned a joke re the Pledge of Allegiance: "I pldge allegiance to the country and to the flag for which it stands.") I can't remember the details, but his core point was that the flag was fetishized, but its meaning was given to the nation (or at least to the full-bodied nationalists) by the President. And now they were in a real bind: The Meaning of the flag was being represented by a Black Man.

Carrol