[lbo-talk] The Neoliberalization Of Higher Education: What’s Race Got To Do With It?

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 12:32:12 PST 2009

Dennis Claxton

One problem I had with it is there is no breakdown of what "growing ethnic diversity" in California means. At UCLA and Berkeley there are more students in the Asian/Asian-American/Pacific Islander category than in the White/Caucasian. This has been true for some time now. When the article lumped a lot of backlash movements together to say they were all a response to "growing diversity" there was no mention of wrinkles like "model minority" (also a racist term of course) and how that plays into the equation. That's just one example of why I thought that article didn't prove it's point. It left a lot to just be assumed as given.

> So, would you and Doug say we _are_ in a post-"racial" society ?

I can't speak for Doug but for me, of course not.

^^^^^^^^^

CB: Maybe the article fails to argue its title topic, but does race have anything to do with socalled neo-liberalization (privatization) of higher ed in Caly ? Often the impact of racism is somewhat hidden or convuluted.

How about is privatization of higher ed in Caly racist ?