[lbo-talk] Reflections on a YouTube Video [theactivist.org]

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 24 13:40:29 PST 2009

Most people do feel superior to groups of other people, so your argument sort of eats itself. For you would have to feel superior to people who feel superior because of their feeling of superiority.

----- Original Message ---- From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

Flies that land on flypaper are not, really, stupid. (Assuming, for the sake of my metaphor, t hat the stupid/smart opposition makes sense in the world of flies.) Flies that don't land on the flypaper are, really, just lucky, not smart. This was sort of Newton's point when, observing a cart go by carrying a man to his hanging, he observed, "There but for the grace of god go I." These people are stuck in the ideology that their whole life history has made obvious to them. Those not stuck that fast to the most distorted forms of capitalist ideology (only having to deal with the awareness  Angela insisted on) should think of themselves as not so much superior intellects as damned lucky. And recall Marx's sneer at those who divide humanity into two groups, one of which is surior to the other.

Carrol