[lbo-talk] Majority Of Republicans Think Obama Didn't

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 26 00:03:35 PST 2009

Shane: 'And what, pray tell, was the Oswald assassination?' Crack-pot Trotskyist, turned 'lone nut' I am afraid to say. Alexander Cockburn used to say that we ought to laud Oswald as a hero, who took down the arch-militarist Kennedy - 'arch-militarist Kennedy' is right, but Oswald's act of individual terror took the place of a case against Kennedy that had never been made.

My father sold the anarchist paper 'Freedom' in the pubs of Leeds in 1963. Their headline the day after Kennedy was shot was 'So What?' It got him into a few fights.

Martin writes: 'I can't get over the assertion that Kennedy didn't invade Cuba.' Yes, I am with you on that. He plainly did. Chomsky's little book on Camelot is good on that. There were some radicals coming out of the Kennedy admin., like Pierre Salinger - but for the most part the myth of Kennedy having a secret anti-cold war agenda and wanting to pull out of Vietnam is a post festum construction.