[lbo-talk] Whole Foods Market Disciplines Employees For Facebook Posts

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 27 04:24:18 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Steven Robinson <srobin21 at comcast.net> wrote:
> And he created a major storm of publicity when he attacked President
> Obama's healthcare reform plan in a Wall Street Journal interview.
> And to top it all off, sales of the company are slipping.
> The employees we spoke with called the tactic "intrusive" and
> "scary". They also expressed concern that the actions of their
> company's CEO are provoking the company to attack its employees as a
> reactionary response to the embarrassment his comments are causing.

Not to mention that the CEO was caught posting anonymously to Yahoo Finance forums for 7 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mackey_%28businessman%29#Yahoo_Finance_postings

"On July 20, 2007, The Wall Street Journal revealed that Mackey was, for at least seven years, using the pseudonym "Rahodeb" (an anagram of his wife's name, Deborah) to post to Yahoo Finance forums referring to himself in the third person and criticizing rival supermarket chain Wild Oats Market. The Federal Trade Commission approved a complaint challenging Whole Foods Market’s approximately $670 million acquisition of its chief rival, Wild Oats Markets, Inc., and authorized the FTC staff to seek a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction in federal district court to halt the deal pending an administrative trial on the merits."

Tayssir