[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1056, Issue 2

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Nov 27 12:47:20 PST 2009

At 10:08 AM 11/27/2009, Carrol Cox wrote:

>Yes. This is correct. And can be affirmed and developed without an
>implicit conception of "working class" as identity. That conception of
>class was useful for almost two centuries in fueling the class struggle
>(i.e., the struggle for abhstract bourgeois equality). For the most part
>that abstract equality (as abstract citizens) has been achieved. But the
>struggle for freedom has hardly begun. (See Tamas.) And that struggle
>cannot be grounded in He-Man Working-Class consciousness.

i'm finding the use of terms confusing but i think it might be the sluggish effects of too much food yesterday. :)

what is class?

what is identity?

what is a politics based on identity?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I think the terms aren't be used in entirely the same way here.

I think you've long held that people should discuss social strata differences -- socioeconomic status differences because it was obfuscating the fact that everyone who has to earn a living is a member of the working class. so I'm not really sure how you are using the terms here. orif you still hold that view.

shag