[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1056, Issue 2

Peter Ward nevadabob at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Nov 27 18:17:55 PST 2009

> Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 00:17:32 -0800
> From: 123hop at comcast.net
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1056, Issue 2
>

> The whole point about the working class in this country is to escape it. There is no notion about the possibility of taking over, of re-shaping the relations of production into something beyond mortification and humiliation.... and as industrial jobs leave, there are fewer and fewer things to point to and claim "we built it."
>
> Joanna

It is a fact much political conformity has been imposed by invoking the Myth of the Middle Class--heralding middle class existence as the pinnacle of achievement for the average (as opposed to the monotonically superior, Ivy League certified upper class elite) person. And for some time this myth has seemed plausible. However, increasingly the class war is targeting the middle class as well as the poor (cf. any Obama economic policy you like) . As more and more are affected, presumably the stigma will break down--as will the ease with which the liberal middle class, traditionally the most willfully ignorant and passive, can evade taking political responsibility. In many respects this development is a welcome one.

Peter

_________________________________________________________________ View your other email accounts from your Hotmail inbox. Add them now. http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394592/direct/01/