[lbo-talk] From another thread

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 27 20:05:28 PST 2009

I was using "truth" in the context of the post from Milon_l I quoted: something roughly equivalent to "new propositional truth." _Hamlet_ in some ways is far more interesting than half a dozen new propositonal affirmations might be. And it might well, each time you go back to it,or even each time you have a conversation about it, bring you to focus on some old but refreshened for you now proposition about the world. But what ontological proposition can you derive fromit that had never been affirmed before by anyone? _Hamlet_ or _The Awokward Age_ or "The Imperfect Enjoyment" surely focus the mind, and focus it on things a given person may not have thought about or thought about recently or thought about in some particular way. But a new statement about human history or the nature of human relations. I doubt it.

It is just possible, just barely possible, that when the Iliad was composed Book 24 made a really new and profound point. But that's the only even possible exception I will grant.

Carrol

Of course