[lbo-talk] From another thread

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Nov 27 20:31:28 PST 2009

Somebody wrote:

> > -- [Shakespeare] recast the tragic mode from the classical heroic
> > ability-to-meet-fate, to the more modern form of tragedy as existential
> > paradox.

What on earth is this supposed to mean? Not a rhetorical question.

I'm thinking Oedipous Tyrannos, Agamemnon, Macbeth -- none of 'em fits the description above, as far as I can tell.

Oh and this idea that Shakespeare "recast" or changed the direction of anything seems quite wrong, purely as a matter of literary history. Where's the Shakespearian school, the Shakespearian tendency, the Shakespearian movement? Who's like Shakespeare?

The Shake's a lot like Marlowe -- just a lot better at it. Cf. Bach & Buxtehude.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com