[lbo-talk] what's the matter with...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 29 06:47:53 PST 2009

I guess it's fun to talk about what's wrong with this or the other sector of the population, but I'm a bit uncle as to the political implications of the chat. And if smartness is a precondition for voting left, and the population is overwhelmingly dumb, the politics of Progress, one step at a time by electing smart and good people, seems _really_ naive. By what procedure, lacking sstate power, large financial resources, and with all cultural media controlled by the enemy, is the left supposed to bring all these dumb people up to the level of us intelligent leftis anddddddddddd persuade them to vote the capitalists out of business?

Progress is a sort of empty term unless one can identify the forces which drive it, and how those froces are to be harnessed to educate a dumb public. A recognition of contingency, of the illusory nature of systematic progress, and of the necessity of recognizing those condtions, when they appear, that make possible the making of our own history, while grim, is far more cheerful than this blind trust in Progress combined with contempt for people.

Carrol