[lbo-talk] W. Va.

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 30 15:43:15 PST 2009

The bombs happened during the Battle of Blair Mountain.  Part of the reason for this struggle was that a supporter of the United Mine Workers of America had been murdered by company thugs on the steps of the Welch, WV courthouse (BTW, this is the town I grew up in).  The murderers were acquitted.  Warren Harding threatened to send in troops during the battle.

Things have changed, but I believe when I was growing up,(60s and 70s) West Virginia was the most unionized state (I might be wrong about that).

Thomas

----- Original Message ---- From: Michael Perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Mon, November 30, 2009 8:17:11 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] W. Va.

The state is unusual in that it had a strong union presence.  The airforce (Jimmy Doolittle supposedly even bombed the miners). -- Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA 95929