[lbo-talk] Gaddafi the liberator

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri Oct 2 17:28:22 PDT 2009

On Thu, October 1, 2009 2:21 pm, Eric Beck wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 4:00 PM, <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:
>
>> I think it's deeply important for a world political leader to raise the
>> issue of Empire and colonialism in 2009.
>
> I think it's more important for people who oppose Empire and
> colonialism to investigate how all world leaders, even and maybe especially
> those who criticize Empire and colonialism, contribute to and help
> perpetuate the worldwide capitalist market and its exploiting labor
> regimes and violent enforcement.

Leaders and governments are only a small part of the historical process. Social movements, juridical institutions, power-relations, economic structures, gender, ethnicity, and a thousand other things are in play, too. So by "thinking colonialism", I don't mean sterile denunciations of how the Brits, French, or US authorities committed X atrocity on Y territory in Z time-frame, I mean grasping this history in its full complexity.

-- DRR