[lbo-talk] Michaels, Against Diversity

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 11:54:58 PDT 2009

I guess I'll wait for the transcript to be sure. But, he sounded to me to be saying that all racial (or gender or sexual) politics were the politics of diversity, which he strongly suggested are effectively neoliberal, and that neoliberals are behind the embrace of elite immigration and illegal immigration... transitively... And if all race-driven politics are effectively serving neoliberalism then people working with the truly disadvantages along racial lines are implicitly cozying up to neoliberalism by impeding the "real" politics that needs to be done. But, I'd need the transcript to be sure. At the same time, I think these things are read-in-able because of his discursive strategy - caveats to get him off the hook and lack of nuance to drive home the point. In the end, I guess, I just don't see how a political program to deal with the disproportionality of blacks in poverty and in jail could be construed - by him - as anything other than a neoliberal-like distraction from more real class politics...