[lbo-talk] benn der, dun dat

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Oct 5 20:25:06 PDT 2009

i went poking around to read other critiques of michaels. got to wondering if i was the only one who got the opportunist vibe. apparently, it is precisely what a lot of people think of his entire body of academic work not just this, a work specifically written to the general public. meanwhile, Scott LeMee quotes this beauty from Michaels:

""The entire U.S. school system, from pre-K up, is structured from the very start to enable the rich to outcompete the poor," writes Michaels, "which is to say, the race is fixed. And the kinds of solutions that might actually make a difference -- financing every school district equally, abolishing private schools, making high quality child care available to every family -- are treated as if they were positively un-American."

http://www.insidehighered.com/views/mclemee/mclemee170

So, a guy who doesn't like neo-liberalism is an ardent defender of... Liberalism. Ain't he special. does he really think that high quality child care for everyone is going to fix the problem of inequality? That schools will level the playing field, thereby creating equal opportunity and that this is an advance over neo-liberalism?

Is the guy a freaking intellectual lightweight or what?

He's running around attacking neo-liberalism. What amounts to about the only policy suggestion in this freakin book turns out to be ... oh! we need equality of opportunity! that'll fix EVERYTHING little buddy! hell, we might get off this island after all!

i'm glad to hear that doug, Adolph, and Walter are on the same page there. I'm going to pitch in right now and help you guys bring equal funding to schools. Oh. Goodie! I can't wait to watch that big meeeenie capitalist system melt right before my eyes under the onslaught of all those chillens bolstered by the capitalist-zapping experience of having decent affordable daycare! Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Aren't Liberals sooooooooo much better than the neo-Liberals? What Pwogwess!