[lbo-talk] overconsuming health

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 12:31:06 PDT 2009

I suppose you would all like some nice citations and I apologize for not being too forthcoming.

Pharmaceuticals are the fastest growing segment of health care costs. The costs are overwhelmingly marketing with much smaller shares for development / approval and heaven forbid post-approval testing.

My mother for instance spends a lot of time watching network television, a vast wasteland of ads for calcium retention aids, erectile dysfunction, overacitve bladder and restless legs control not to mention all the psychoactives, different things for cholesterol, heart disease, cancer-related anemias. Lots of studies indicate that drugs are WAY over prescribed for seniors and poor coordination of care often results in many interactions that worsen health and quality of life in multiple ways.

Seniors tend to be on more meds than younger cohorts. This dynamic was in effect long before the existence of the Medicare prescription drug plan and might be part of the dynamic generating the plan in the first place. More efficient way for Big Pharma to feed at the public trough for instance.

If I were going to go look for some comparative international data on how other countries manage to live longer on less money, I would look at different things other health systems do to keep Big Pharma at bay.

DoreneC