[lbo-talk] Trotskyite fetishization of the workplace

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 7 07:03:40 PDT 2009

Joseph, understandably non-plussed by being called "a bourgeois wanker, a crypto-Thatcherite"... but to my ears there is a strangely English lilt to this New York Trotskyist? 'Wanker'? 'Thatcherite'? Are those terms in common use in the US? And no, Trotsky did not think that workers' management of industry precluded wider decisions being made for the good of the economy. Sounds to me like your antagonist was blustering a bit. And anyway, even a Trotskist like me would know that Trotsky's word is not holy writ, but an argument that needs to be backed up by more than the authority of the name attached to it.