[lbo-talk] Michaels, Against Diversity

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 07:05:55 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Alan Rudy <alan.rudy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Furthermore, about a third of my student athletes were told by
> coaches, parents or peers that blacks have an extra muscle in their leg
> that
> makes them able to run faster and jump higher and another third were told
> that there are no physiological differences between the races except that
> blacks came out the jungle around the time of (American chattel) slavery
> and
> therefore had to run away from predators and chase prey more recently in
> their evolution than white people did...

Um. Seriously? I presume this is from talking with them in class or something? Or did you put together a survey of student attitudes on race or something like that (not being sarcastic)?

I'm really not calling you a liar, but I am having a really hard time processing this. In the years I've been teaching (in WV and now in WI), I've seen racism (it's impossible not to), but I've never heard this kind of pseudo-science out of my students. It's just staggering and makes me want to cry.

Jimmy the Greek is not dead.