[lbo-talk] Race and class

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 8 07:15:03 PDT 2009

"Despite this analysis, Spivak doesn't lapse into stupidities about while privilege or male privilege."

I once made the mistake of querying Gayatri Spivak on the difference between scepticism and reason, quoting Francis Bacon. The upshot of her reply was that Bacon was a racist imperialist, and so was I for quoting him.

Overall, I am afraid to say, Spivak came across like a bi-polar bag-lady. She read at furious speed from a well-thumbed (curling in fact) A4 exercise book dense pssages (written in green ink, with triplke underlinings throughout, most likely) then flicking backwards a few pages to read out another passage, then forwards a few more to read yet more - giving the impression that it did not matter that much in which order the thoughts came, which it didn't, because they were all unintelligible.