[lbo-talk] Race and class

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 07:44:55 PDT 2009

Beware the ecological fallacy... Spivak gave what was by far the most incomprehensible presentation I ever sat through at UCSC in 1990 or so and, perhaps, the most crystalline-yet-relational presentation I ever sat through in 2002. Sometimes we're good, sometimes we're bad, sometimes we're cranky, sometimes we're sympathetic, sometimes people just set us off for all sorts of reasons. I'd expect that many of us are better in print than off the cuff and that sometimes we're better, even in print, than we are at others. I know that a few times it has turned out that I wrote something pretty flawed because I hadn't yet figured out what it was I was really concerned about, or ought really to have focused my efforts on.

Me, I have a long history of being most upset (and incoherent) when I know someone is wrong, and I know where they are wrong, but I can't formulate exactly what I think is right.

What I appreciate about the WBM exchanges is that the conversation has clarified for me 1) that I was right, if overwrought, 2) other places I could/should have seen him go awry, and 3) how hard it is to work through the many valences of this stuff. Thanks for your help, especially to those who wrote multiple, engaged paragraphs combining intellectual, political and personal elements.