[lbo-talk] Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 06:50:26 PDT 2009

[WS:] Who knows? Another possible explanation is that this was an illocutionary act to force a certain kind of diplomacy - not that much different from what Gandhi did.

People who were surprised by this decision tend to think of the Nobel Peace Prize as a sort of candy for good behavior, which strikes me as a bit infantile. If the NPP were just that, it would be even less relevant than a beauty contest. If otoh they did it as an illocutionary act to strenghten certain kind of US displomacy and it works - it would be a remarkable achievement, indeed. Of course we have no way of knowing for sure what the effect of that speech act, if any, would be.

Furthermore, watching the repug wingnuts and racists going upset over it is priceless. That alone justifies the award.

Wojtek