[lbo-talk] Hardt/Negri's Commonwealth as reviewed in WSJ

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 09:40:08 PDT 2009

Hi Eric, the argument and history in John Bellamy Foster's MR article, The Fetish of Fordism, generated the first step in my rejection of the term. The second step was trying to get a grip on whether "Fordist" production relations or "Fordist" consumption patterns were supposed to be the key because I never really saw a coherent statement of the relationship between the two much less a critique of the kinds of depoliticizing economic and cultural discipline imposed by such relationships and patterns - or even their dependence on the Cold War competition and neoimperialism. Harvey's Condition of Postmodernity helped with this. Despite the limits of the book - particularly in terms of its theory of the state - with this title, I tend to lean more towards Monopoly Capital.