[lbo-talk] Hardt/Negri's Commonwealth as reviewed in WSJ

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 09:48:38 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Asad Haider <noswine at gmail.com> wrote:

> Far better than business-crazy futurists who think that we have transcended
> work, and grouchy left-wing traditionalists who see new forms of cultural
> production as the decline of civilization.
>
> What new forms of cultural production are you talking about? MS Windows?
The derivatives market? Urban primitivism? K Records? Amazon? Facebook? Blogging?

As important, what do you mean by culture? And where did any of us say that new forms of cultural production indicated a decline of civilization? Who here has argued that western civilization was civilized? Do you listen to Doug on the radio/podcast? One rock (or variant thereof) tune and one classical (or variant thereof) tune... just the way we like it. Heartfield doesn't appreciate British Cultural Studies but most of us here (he says taking a risk) do - or at least the general approach of folks like EP THompson, Raymond Williams, Dick Hebdige, Terry Eagleton and (early) Stuart Hall.