[lbo-talk] Hardt/Negri's Commonwealth as reviewed in WSJ

Asad Haider noswine at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 09:59:53 PDT 2009

I wasn't talking about any of you. It's a relatively common view in the academy, inherited, I think, from the Frankfurt School.

I like late Stuart Hall just as much as early, and I subscribe to Simon Frith's description of the difference between "rock" and "pop", in which the former is a sort of modernist imposition of autonomy and authenticity onto cultural commodities. Not that I don't like post-punk, Doug, but for political content I tend to prefer Top 40 material.

I'm not sure whether you are disputing what I've said or not--is there a disagreement that there are new forms of cultural production?