[lbo-talk] Hardt/Negri's Commonwealth as reviewed in WSJ

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 11:15:25 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Voyou <voyou1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 12:43 -0400, Matthias Wasser wrote:
>
> The paradigmatic post-Fordist company isn't
> Microsoft, it's Walmart, which directs the production and distribution
> of material goods from all around the world.
>
> That may be the case, and it might even be H&N's argument - though I don't
recall it being so, but that is absolutely NOT what the theorists of post-Fordism argued during the first twenty or so years of post-Fordist theorizing... at least in part because, for most of that time, big box stores were still semi-experimental and Walmart was (and a raft of other supermarkets, perhaps most importantly in Europe, were) still working to concentrate their power at the point of sale so that they could overpower producers. Almost all the stuff on third party certification based on internationally-imposed retail grades and standards doesn't arrive until significantly after 1989 and isn't really a central element of international supply chains for retail goods until the late 90s.