[lbo-talk] Hardt/Negri's Commonwealth as reviewed in WSJ

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 11:20:15 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Voyou <voyou1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, and nothing in H&N's argument goes against this. The idea of a
> shift from Fordism to post-Fordism doesn't mean that the economy is
> shifting from widgets to symbols. It means that changes in symbolic
> forms of production have an affect on widget-based production.

Precisely. I amazed that people still make arguments like the one Matthias makes here. Either they aren't reading well or they are reading in bad faith, though it could also be that H&N are not as precise in these arguments as is, say, Virno, who emphasizes that dashboards are still being produced in the world, but that industrial work is being restructured to be like communicative, symbolic work. Has anyone else noticed that truck drivers have computers in their cabs?