[lbo-talk] Rupert: Philistine age is over

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sat Oct 10 22:46:07 PDT 2009

On Sat, October 10, 2009 6:00 pm, Doug Henwood wrote:
> <http://www.businessinsider.com/the-philistine-phase-of-the-digital-age-i
> s-almost-over-2009-10
>>

> But if we do not take advantage of the current
> movement toward paid-for content, it will be the content creators, the
> people in this hall, who will pay the ultimate price and the content
> kleptomaniacs will triumph.

Damn, that's the funniest thing I've read in weeks -- an arch-thief bloviating about how people who share files over the Internet are thieves. Terror War, meet Information War.

One of the unintended consequences of the Big Melt, a.k.a. the watery end of the Ice Age of neoliberalism, is that 80% of Americans have no choice but to embrace the digital commons. Noone can afford all that overpriced media content anymore. We're broke, Europe has the Pirate Party, and the BRICs prefer their own media. Let the downloading begin!

-- DRR