[lbo-talk] negawatts instead of megawatts

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Oct 12 15:21:21 PDT 2009

On Oct 12, 2009, at 5:47 PM, James Heartfield wrote:

> Alan Rudy and Shane Mage seem reluctant to accept that environmental
> protestors wanted to shut down Britain's power stations. But the
> protestors themselves welcome the decision that the industry
> regulators assume will lead to £2000 utility bills.

James seems not to have read either the quotes he has posted--which hail the stoppage of the *proposed* coal-fired station and the recognition that the days of building new coal-fired power stations are over, but say nothing at all about "shutting down" existying stations--nor my mailing which said nothing about the (entirely praiseworthy) environmentalist protesters but did point out that an increase of a mere $1 (equivalent) per day per year in unemployment benefit and wages would pay for the *entire* utility bill after the 10 years of increases that would increase its annual cost to the £2000 that would presumably reflect the real cost of electrticity production.

> Bibi Van Der Zee writes 'What a day, what a weekend, what a week for
> climate protesters! First E.ON gives up on building the proposed
> coal-fired power station at Kingsnorth.' http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2009/oct/12/climate-activists-campaigns-greenpeace
>
> Emma Jackson, of the Camp for Climate Change, added: "E.On are
> finally recognising that the days of building new coal-fired power
> stations are over." http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8296975.stm
>
> 'Commenting on reports that E.ON has shelved plans to build a new
> coal-fired- power station at Kingsnorth, Friends of the Earth's
> Executive Director Andy Atkins said:
>
> "We're delighted that E.ON has shelved its Kingsnorth plans - we
> should be investing in clean energy sources not building new dirty
> coal-fired power stations."' http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/press_releases/kingsnorth_shelved_07102009.html

Shane Mage