[lbo-talk] corporate rationality

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 14 09:31:03 PDT 2009

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2009, at 8:26 AM, Asad Haider wrote:
>
> > I won't get into "necessary conditions," but white supremacy
> > certainly has a
> > robust existence in Asia, with its "fairness creams" and eyelid
> > surgeries....
>
> For sure, but is that what's been driving 10% growth rates in China
> for the last 20 years?

Probably involved there someplace.

But one has constantly to keep the analytical distinction between what capitalism drives and what it is driven by. (And it is not in all cases a chicken-and-egg question.) Racism (belief in race as real) was _not_ a precondition of capitalism, but the growth of capitalism and racizlization were mutually inseparable. Capitalism inevitably generates racialization* are intertwined from teh very beginning. (This is obvious if you read at all carefully Wood's _Origin of Capitalistm: An Extended View_.

Incidentally, you write in another post, "race, or racialization if you prefe," which is rather like writing "automobiles, or mechanical engineering if you prefer." You do know the difference between a process and its result do you not? Capitalism, willy-nilly, generates the process of racialization, and were there no physical differences among humans there would still develop, within _any_ capitalist society, the equivalent to "race" in our society.

Carrol