[lbo-talk] The new disparity: women vastly outnumber men in college

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 13:51:05 PDT 2009

I wish I'd had Shag's account to draw on today - I taught the chapter on Crackhouse Management from Bourgois' book, In Search of Respect: Selling Crack in El Barrio, in my Intro classes today. I used Somebody Somebody's link and the table that's a few paragraphs into the story to talk about differential opportunity structures as a lead in to Bourgois and, while we came up with Matthais' and a number of Shag's points, there are a number that would have added value to the discussion. My students, many from areas of MI north of Flint, Lansing and Grand Rapids stressed 1) the need to find/get a job as soon as high school ends and 2) folks who join the military to go to college after the 18-24 age group in the contexts.orgaccount.