[lbo-talk] Infatuation w/ Obama: What Zizek and Moore Have in Common

Peter Ward nevadabob at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Oct 15 16:48:09 PDT 2009

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/10/15/slovenian_philosopher_slavoj_zizek_on_the

At least in Moore's case, the populist feeling appears, to me, to be sincere. Whereas Zizek strikes me as a cynical opportunist bet-hedger. At any rate, objectively, he is wrong in many of his facts such as re: Obamacare--from day one of his presidency Obama undertook to destroy such "entitlements" as medicare/medicade* let alone fight to create "single payer"--and re: imperialism--Obs promised during his campaign to expand US imperial hegemony regardless how "unpopular", in his words, doing so might be at home and abroad. and he quite lived up to this promise, too, patting Israel on the back for (white phosphorous) bombing even more Palestinians into oblivion on not later than his third day. This salient lack of integrity should, one would hope, disqualify him from being taken seriously as an intellectual--however, perhaps it is the case that those who've taken a shine to him are intellectual quacks themselves.

*One novelty to that may come out of Obamacare, although I believe it actually originated with Hillary, is making health insurance compulsory, depriving us chumps even the dignity of choosing not to pay for costly premiums that do next to nothing.

_________________________________________________________________ Use Windows Live Messenger for free on selected mobiles http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/174426567/direct/01/