[lbo-talk] FW: Gore Vidal: Tim McVeigh was "a true patriot, a Constitution man"

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Thu Oct 15 17:43:50 PDT 2009

I read a couple of the historical novels. They weren't bad, though two was enough for me. ("Empire" and "Hollywood")

When he's on, IMO, he is without peer as an essayist.

. . . I don't know what he's famous for anywhere, really, because I think those historical novels are complete works of taxidermy. Nobody can read those. "Myra Breckinridge" was funny but light. The essays are what everybody defends -- but a friend of mine who did a volume of the

best essays of the 20th century said they're all so topical that they've all aged terribly. I don't know where his work is. You have to

have one or two books that are actually good if you're going to have a