[lbo-talk] Gore Vidal: Tim McVeigh was "a true patriot, a Constitution man"

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 16 16:29:00 PDT 2009

At 05:40 PM 10/15/2009, Doug Henwood wrote:

>You have to have one or two books that are actually good if you're
>going to have a
>lasting career, and I don't think he does.

White wrote a great biography of Jean Genet.

This is a good spot to tell about my McVeigh connection. I drove his getaway car. He wasn't in it at the time though.

The car he was driving when he was pulled over and arrested used to belong to my brother. He drove it to Los Angeles with his family once. I didn't have a car at the time so I drove them all over town in their car. They drove back to Oklahoma where they were living at the time and the car broke down not long after they crossed the Oklahoma state line. They sold it to a local garage for a hundred dollars and took the bus the rest of the way. McVeigh got the car sometime afterward and drove away from the Murrah Building in it.

The FBI questioned my brother and his wife about it. The agents said they had been watching them for a while and came to question them after concluding they were just college kids with a kid.

There's a picture of the car here:

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mcveigh/mcveigharrest.html