[lbo-talk] The new disparity: women vastly outnumber men

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 16 10:52:27 PDT 2009

Brad Bauerly: Young men know that they will not get a good paying job that uses the physical skills that they have been taught from day one (even in the womb I would argue people are assigned and socialized to gender roles) are an important part of being a male. So they either deny their socialized masculinity (not necessarily a bad thing) and get a non-physical job or they say fuck school in a hyper-masculinized move.

Somebody: I think you may have hit it on the head here. But, this is just another way of saying that the socialization associated with maintaining a patriarchal society in the *past* is now counterproductive for men and is actually, almost accidentally, leading to the gradual rise of a female dominated economy. So, this goes back to what I was saying about the face of capitalism becoming both more female and more minority. The decline of industry in the U.S. is due in part because of the emergence of industrialization in Asia, which in turn has contributed to the increased importance of intellectual and service oriented careers that are more open to women.