[lbo-talk] Blacks versus Africans in the Bronx

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 19 14:20:47 PDT 2009

Somebody: This is interesting. Here we have an instance of black American chauvinism against black African Muslim immigrants. Though, just like prejudice against white ethnics tends to fade with the second and third generation because of visual similarity and assimilation, I suspect the same will happen with regards to this division as well. It's still pretty pathetic.

In the Bronx, a Clash of Cultures Turns Violent

Down the block, Muhammed Sillah sat in a folding chair in front of the tiny Al Tawba mosque, eyeing the jungle gym across the street and remembering when he used to let his children play outside.

“Spanish kids, American kids — but no African kids,” said Mr. Sillah, a Gambian mechanic raising five children in Claremont. “We’re scared.”...

After reports of nearly two dozen attacks on West African immigrants in the last two years, the police interviewed 17 Africans in the neighborhood and filed 11 criminal complaints. Two of those were deemed hate crimes, including a June attack that left a Gambian immigrant hospitalized for eight days. They have made no arrest in either race-bias case, but a police mobile truck armed with a video camera now stands outside the mosque...

Link:

<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/20/nyregion/20africans.html?hp>