[lbo-talk] "For all we know, there may not be a safe way down"

Bob Morris bob.morris at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 08:26:56 PDT 2009

> We may be entering a phase where money is to WallStreet as heroin is
> to a heroin addict. Can the bailout be enough rope for them to hang
> themselves with ?
>

>From an article by songer-songwriter James McMurtry, ( of "We Can't Make It
Here" fame.)

He starts by quoting Peter Coyote's dad. It's a revealing quote.

"Capitalism is dying, boy. It’s dying of its own internal contradictions.[He was, after all, a Wall Street financier, so I listened carefully.] You think the revolution’s gonna take five years. It’s gonna take fifty! So keep your head down and hang in for the long haul, because I’ll tell you something. The sons of bitches running things don’t give a shit about their children or their grandchildren, and they certainly don’t give a shit about you! They’ve paid their dues, and they want to get out with theirs! They’re gonna sell off everything that’s not nailed down to the highest bidder. Don’t get crushed when it topples down. Take care of yourself and your family. If you can make a difference, do it, but there are huge forces at work here, and they have to play themselves out according to their own design, not yours. Watch yourself."

- Wall Street Financier, Morris Cohon, to his son, Peter Coyote—Winter of 1969/1970

The above passage is from Peter Coyote’s excellent memoir, “Sleeping Where I Fall”. In the next sentence, Coyote adds,

"As far as I can determine, everything he prophesied has come true."

Sure enough, last year, 2008, balls out free market capitalism stepped on its dick and fell on its ass. We had lived a fantasy for nearly thirty years.

Read the whole thing http://blurt-online.com/blogs/view/2781/

We Can't Make It Here video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcBWlblRDjg&feature=player_embedded